Brendan Graham Dempsey
Brendan Graham Dempsey (born May 16, 1989) is an American author, poet, and scholar of religion who writes on metamodern spirituality. His work focuses on the perceived "meaning crisis" in contemporary society and the efforts to reconstruct religion after postmodernism.
Dempsey graduated summa cum laude from the University of Vermont in 2011, where he studied Classical Civilizations and Religious Studies. Discovering the work of Timotheus Vermeulen and Robin van den Akker on metamodernism in 2014, he presented his paper "The Death and Resurrection of God in Metamodern Religion" at the Oscillate!: Metamodernism in the Humanities conference at the University of Strathclyde (later revised and published as "[R]econstruction: Metamodern 'Transcendence' and the Return of Myth' in the webzine Notes on Metamodernism).
In 2017, he earned his Master's in Religion (MAR) from Yale University, where he studied Religion and the Arts (literature concentration) at Yale Divinity School's elite inter-disciplinary arts program, the Yale Institute of Sacred Music (ISM).
Metamodern Spirituality Series
In April of 2021, Dempsey published the first five volumes of the Metamodern Spirituality Series, a book series devoted to exploring issues of meaning-making and spirituality after postmodernism. The various works are all written under various pseudonyms, with Dempsey himself appearing as the "General Editor" of the series, and cover a range of genres, from a triptych of essays, to redacted scripture, to epic poetry.
Dempsey also hosts the Metamodern Spirituality podcast, in which he interviews prominent voices on metamodernism and contemporary spirituality.
Dempsey's work on metamodernism and religion has been drawn upon by many of the leading scholars currently writing on the topic. His videos on metamodernism are also popular on YouTube.
Metamodern Spirituality Series
- Vol. 1. GOD. ISBN 979-8728917342
- Vol. 2. Metamodernism and the Return of Transcendence. ISBN 979-8728412397
- Vol. 3. The Oil and the Lamp. ISBN 978-1667194448
- Vol. 4. Building the Cathedral: Answering the Meaning Crisis through Personal Myth. ISBN 979-8728831211
- Vol. 5. GOSPEL. ISBN 979-8530812149
- "[R]econstruction: Metamodern 'Transcendence' and the Return of Myth' in the webzine Notes on Metamodernism"
- BrendanGrahamDempsey.com - author's official website
- Metamodern Spirituality Series - Amazon book series link
- Dempsey, Brendan. [Re]construction: Metamodern 'Transcendence' and the Return of Myth. Notes on Metamodernism. https://www.metamodernism.com/2014/10/21/reconstruction-metamodern-transcendence-and-the-return-of-myth/
- Clasquin-Johnson, L. Towards a metamodern academic study of religion and a more religiously informed metamodernism. Harvard Theological Studies 73(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/hts.v73i3.4491.
- Ceriello, L. Metamodern Mysticisms. Narrative Encounters with Contemporary Western Secular Spiritualities. Dissertation, Rice University, 2018. https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/handle/1911/103873/CERIELLO-DOCUMENT-2018.pdf
- Bargár, P. The Modern, the Postmodern, and. . . the Metamodern? Reflections on a Transforming Sensibility from the Perspective of Theological Anthropology. Transformation: An International Journal of Holistic Mission Studies 38(1):3-15. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265378820976944
- Shcherov, V. I. Philosophical aspects of metamodernism. Journal of Gender and Interdisciplinarity 2(1). https://www.periodicojs.com.br/index.php/gei/article/view/159
- Radchenko S. Bleeding Edge of Postmodernism: Metamodern Writing in the Novel by Thomas Pynchon. Interlitteraria 24(2):495-508.